Adding the BOM or Parts List to DocuStudio
Ideally, your Bill of Materials (BOM) should be available in column-delimited format (i.e., Microsoft Excel) The first 1 through 7 steps in the process describe how to copy a parts list from an existing PDF catalog into Excel. If you already have the BOM in Excel format, start at step 8.
- Open the BOM page in the PDF parts catalog.
- Open a blank Excel document, then return to the parts catalog page that contains your parts list.
- Hold ‘Alt’ on your keyboard and drag your mouse over the first column in your BOM.
- Copy the entire column by letting go of ‘Alt’ and pressing ‘Ctrl ‘C’, or right click on your mouse and click ‘Copy.’
- Go to your open Excel file and click on cell ‘A1.’
- Paste the copied information in that cell.
- Continue copying each column from the PDF into the next column in the Excel document following steps 1 through 6.
- Copy all fields that contain information from Excel or exported parts list format delineated by column (ex. In this spreadsheet you would highlight cells A1 through E23 and copy).
- Open DocuStudio and click the ‘Import BOM’ button in the ‘Page’ ribbon.
- Drag and drop column headers into the appropriate columns from the list on the left to the headers on the right above the BOM columns.
- Once everything matches up, click the ‘Import’ button.
Overriding and Merging BOM Parts Lists
- Open up the parts page (.plz) file in Docustudio that contains the BOM that needs to be updated (superseded or merged with another list).
- Copy all of the new information using 'Ctrl C' (must be delineated by column - PDFs need to transferred into Excel following steps in above instructions).
- Click on the 'Import BOM' icon in the ‘Page’ ribbon.
- The information you copied should automatically populate in the 'Import BOM' table.
- Check that the column headers match the information in the column.
- Toggle the 'Override'/'Merge' option to pick whether you are overwriting the BOM, or if you are appending information to the current BOM.
- Click the 'Import' button to complete your changes.